- Faculty & Staff
NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT POSTSECONDARY COMPLAINT NOTICE
Please note that the State University of New York at Fredonia administers internal procedures to receive, investigate and resolve student complaints concerning requirements established in this catalog. Informal and formal means by which students can seek redress of grievances are identified through this document. Students are assured of a reasonable and appropriate time frame for investigating and resolving a formal complaint, that final determination of each formal complaint will be made by a person or persons not directly involved in the alleged problem, that assurances that no adverse action will be taken against a student filing a complaint and that notice to students about the state consumer complaint process has been made.
Informal and formal complaints should be initiated in the appropriate departments. In the absence of a timely response or resolution, a student should contact one of the following offices:
Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, 8th floor, Maytum Hall (716) 673-3335
Office of the Vice President for Enrollment & Student Services, 6th floor, Maytum Hall (716) 673-3271
Office of the Vice President for Administration, 5th floor, Maytum Hall (716) 673-3109
Office of Human Resources, 5th floor, Maytum Hall (716) 673-3434
In addition, in New York State, a complaint may be filed by any person with reason to believe that an institution has acted contrary to its published standards or that conditions at the institution appear to jeopardize the quality of the institution’s instructional programs or the general welfare of its students. Any person who believes he or she has been aggrieved by an institution may file a written complaint with the Office of College and University Evaluation.
Q. How to File a Complaint
- The person should first try to resolve the complaint directly with the institution by following the internal complaint procedures provided by the institution. An institution of higher education is required to publish its internal complaint procedure in a primary information document such as the catalog or student handbook. (The department suggests that the complainant keep copies of all correspondence with the institution.)
- If a person is unable to resolve the complaint with the institution or believes that the institution has not properly addressed the concerns, he or she may send a letter to the Office of College and University Evaluation.
- Please do not send a complaint to the Office of College and University Evaluation until you have read all of the information below. This will assure that you are sending your complaint to the appropriate agency/office. The Office of College and University Evaluation handles only those complaints that concern educational programs or practices of degree-granting institutions subject to the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, with the exceptions noted below. The Office does not handle anonymous complaints.
- Complaints concerning programs in fields leading to professional licensure (e.g., nursing) should be directed to:
- A complaint against a college in the State University system should be sent to:
7. A complaint involving discrimination against enrolled students on the part of an institution or faculty, or involving sexual harassment, should be sent to:U.S. Office for Civil Rights 75 Park Place New York, NY 10007
8. Complaints about two-year colleges concerning sexual harassment/discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender and disabilities should be sent to:Office of Equity and Access VATEA Program 10th Floor Education Building Addition Hawk Street Albany, NY 12234
9. A complaint of consumer fraud on the part of the institution should be sent to:Office of the New York State Attorney General Justice Building Empire State Plaza Albany, NY 12223
[ Back to Top ]