- Faculty & Staff
The Student Health Center at Fredonia is committed to providing students with healthcare in a manner that clearly recognizes individual needs and rights. To reach and maintain optimal wellness, students should work in partnership with their healthcare providers. It's within this collaborative framework that the following patient rights and responsibilities are identified. If, for any reason, you don't understand these rights or you need help understanding them, the Student Health Center staff will provide any assistance necessary to clarify this information and make it understandable.
As a patient, you have a right to:
- Considerate and respectful care
- Information regarding your diagnosis, treatment and prognosis in terms you can understand
- All information needed to give informed consent for any procedure or treatment
- Refuse treatment and be informed of the medical consequences
- Expect that your personal privacy will be respected
- Expect that you medical records will be kept confidential and will be released only with your written consent, or in cases of medical emergencies, or in response to court-ordered subpoenas
- Know the names and positions of people involved in your care by official name tag and/or personal introduction
- Change provider at any time
- Obtain another medical opinion prior to any procedure
- Obtain another medical opinion regarding condition by an alternative health care provider at the Student Health Center
- Review with a health care provider your Fredonia medical records in accordance with policy
- Express concern, grievance or suggestion
- Concerns and grievances should be directed to the Director of Health Services
As a patient , you have the responsibility:
- Providing complete and honest information about your health
- Asking questions if you do not understand your diagnosis, treatment, prognosis or any instructions
- Participating in your care by following recommendations
- Keeping appointments or notify the staff as soon as possible if unable to keep appointments
- Being respectful of the staff and other patients
- Any charges billed to you, whether by an area hospital, emergency room, laboratories or specialists
The Student Health Center at Fredonia strongly recommends that you have health and accident insurance to cover costs for any medical care not provided by the Student Health Center, including hospitalization, emergency room treatment, some laboratory services and care provided by specialists.
Mon-Fri, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Mon-Fri, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Student Health Center
State University of New York at Fredonia
Fredonia, NY 14063
(716) 673-3131 phone
(716) 673-4722 fax