Student Health and Wellness Services | Counseling Center
In most circumstances, the difficulties that students face can be addressed through the usual process of setting up an appointment with a counselor and discussing the issues concerning the student. However, there are circumstances when crisis situations in which immediate or same-day intervention by a counselor is called for. Emergency psychological services are provided to the campus community by the Counseling Center staff for such crises.
Examples of crisis situations include:
- experiencing acute anxiety or anxiety attacks
- having suicidal thoughts or attempts
- having thoughts of doing serious harm to someone else
- experiencing intense grief and bereavement
- having been physically and/or sexually assaulted recently
- feeling acute depression
- having strange experiences like hearing voices/seeing things that no one else hears/sees
- problems with alcohol/substance abuse
The Counseling Center provides 24-hour emergency services:
- If a crisis arises during working hours, students should contact the Counseling Center directly by either calling 716-673-3424 or by going directly to the office located in LoGrasso Hall.
- When students come to the Counseling Center in crisis, they should make the secretary aware that they require immediate and/or same-day assistance.
- Outside of regularly scheduled working hours, students living on campus are advised to notify their Resident Advisor (RA) or Resident Director (RD) of the crisis, who may then decide to engage emergency services. (Contact Residence Life)
- Students may also reach the Counseling Center emergency services by contacting University Police (673-3333).
Counseling Center client information is confidential within ethical and legal guidelines. Information can only be released with the written consent of the student, except in situations where a student poses a threat of serious harm to self or to others, or in the case of abuse/neglect of a minor, or in the case of a court-ordered release of information.