- Faculty & Staff
Dear Parents and Families of the Class of 2017,
On Saturday, May 13, 2017, Fredonia's Commencement will celebrate a new phase in the lives of the students we honor. There is a special place for you as well. Your support and encouragement, expressed in so many ways, are essential to graduates' success.
Commencement ceremonies will take place in the arena portion of Steele Hall. Bachelor's, master's, and advanced certificate candidates/graduates will be included in each ceremony. Follow this link for information on the morning and afternoon ceremonies. Students will graduate by major/program, either at 10:00 a.m. or 3:00 p.m.
Please discuss with your graduate two important matters that will contribute to making this a great day for everyone. The consumption of alcohol in the arena is neither acceptable nor condoned, and university policy on alcohol consumption will be strictly enforced. Also, please plan your post-Commencement activities so all members of your party can remain in the Steele Hall arena until the ceremony concludes.
A professional photographer will take a picture of each graduate shaking hands with the President. Students will be notified by Island Photography when photos are available; of course, there is no obligation to purchase a photo. Following the ceremony, you are encouraged to celebrate at a reception in the Dods Hall grove honoring the Class of 2017. The rain location for the reception is the Williams Center.
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, May 13.
Virginia S. Horvath, Ph.D. Eduvijuz (Duvi) Sanchez
University President Senior Class President
- Ticket distribution begins on Wednesday, April 19, and continues until Friday, May 5. Only students are eligible to pick up tickets, not family members. It is anticipated that graduates will be able to receive at least four tickets to the Steele Hall arena. The number of tickets available will be based on the legal and safe seating capacity for the arena, and the university reserves the right to limit the number of tickets distributed for each ceremony. When the student picks up his/her tickets, there will also be a sign-up sheet to request additional tickets to the arena. Students will be contacted after May 5 by Commencement Chair Michael Lemieux if extra tickets are available, with instructions for picking them up at the Williams Center by Friday, May 12. Two extra tickets, for viewing live video of the ceremony in the Steele Hall ice rink, may be requested at the same time on a first-come, first-served basis, until seating capacity has been reached. Graduates may only obtain tickets; they will not be given to family members.
- Tickets are color-coded for each ceremony, read further on this web page for the university's Ticket Policy. It is your responsibility to verify with your graduate his/her assigned ceremony. Tickets will be (arena) and (video venue) for the morning ceremony, and (arena) and (video venue) for the afternoon. We will not honor tickets at the door that are not color-coded for the appropriate ceremony.
- Commencement seating is general admission bleacher seating (no back to the seat) with the exception of a limited amount of Special Needs (Handicapped) seating. Needing a seat with a back is a Special Need. Special Needs also includes visual and hearing impaired guests. Accommodations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please plan to arrive early in order to secure Special Needs seating. Only one family member (or attendant) will be permitted to accompany the person in the Special Needs seating section, the rest must sit in general seating. Please refer to the section, "Information Regarding Special Needs (Handicapped) Seating" on this web page for additional information.
- The afternoon ceremony will begin promptly at 3 p.m. We ask that families attending the morning ceremony vacate the arena as soon as possible at the conclusion of the ceremony so that we may prepare the arena for the afternoon.
- Only certified service animals are permitted in the building. No family pets are allowed.
- Commencement information will also be distributed to graduates/potential candidates on this site.
[ Back to Top ]
We realize that the majority of our Commencement guests will be parking in areas requiring some walking to the arena. We will be providing bus service to assist guests from parking areas to Steele Hall. As indicated earlier on the website, the ceremonies will be held in the Steele Hall arena, and the video venue will be located in the ice rink in Steele Hall.
When arriving, guests will be directed to parking areas throughout campus and bused to the entrances of the Steele Hall facility. Arriving early on campus is strongly suggested; doors to all venues will open at 8:45 a.m. for the morning ceremony and at 2 p.m. for the afternoon ceremony. We encourage those living in the local area to arrive early as well.
With the exception of those holding valid handicapped parking permits/tags/license plates, there will be limited parking available in the immediate Steele hall area.
Following each ceremony and after the President's reception in the Dods Hall grove, a bus will be available to transport guests back to parking areas.
Paramount in our planning is the knowledge that this is a very special day for graduates and their guests, and the entire Fredonia family is working to create a safe, enjoyable and memorable event.
Please direct questions or concerns in writing to the Commencement Committee, c/o Campus Life Office, Williams Center, State University of New York at Fredonia, Fredonia, NY 14063.
[ Back to Top ]
The members of the Commencement Committee and the University President have established the following policy on the distribution of tickets for Commencement.
- Commencement tickets are not considered a salable commodity; they are free to degree candidates. Concurrent degree students (i.e. those receiving two bachelor's degrees during the same semester) are entitled to one set of tickets. All students must show a photo I.D. when they pick up their tickets at the designated area in the Williams Center.
Tickets will be given only to students, not family members.
Students who do not plan to participate in Commencement should not pick up tickets.
Commencement tickets may not be sold. Offenders will be referred to the university's Judicial system, and records will be held until any penalties are satisfied.
- Students who pick up tickets for Commencement are not entitled to tickets for another Commencement at a later date unless they are obtaining another degree; i.e. bachelor's graduates who participated in Commencement are entitled to tickets if they have earned a master's degree (or advanced certificate).
- Students who have picked up tickets for Commencement, and, because of unforeseen circumstances do not plan to use them, must return the tickets to the Committee Chairperson in the Campus Life Office for redistribution. These students will not be eligible to receive tickets for a later Commencement if they have not returned the first set of tickets.
- Tickets will be color-coded for each ceremony, morning and afternoon, as will be reader cards for degree candidates. Students should make sure family members are aware of which ceremony they will be attending.
[ Back to Top ]
Accommodations and Restaurant Guide
For information on area accommodations and restaurants, see this guide.
[ Back to Top ]
A Fredonia tradition continues on Friday, May 12 at 7:30 p.m. in King Concert Hall when the Michael C. Rockefeller Arts Center presents Commencement Eve Pops with the New York Voices.
All seats are reserved, and due to the popularity of the event, early ticket purchase is recommended.
New York Voices, an internationally acclaimed vocal ensemble, will be joined by the Fredonia Voices and the Fredonia Jazz Ensemble for this DFT Communications Pops Series event.
For more than 25 years, New York Voices have been a favorite in the world of vocal jazz. In 1996, the group earned a GRAMMY for its work with the Count Basir Orchestra. The event sponsor is the Fredonia and Silver Creek Penny Saver.
Tickets are $20, $25, $30 and $35, depending on seat location, and are available at the Fredonia Ticket Office in the Williams Center. You may order online or by telephone with Visa or MasterCard.
For online orders, go to www.fredonia.edu/tickets. For telephone orders, call (716) 673-3501 or toll-free at 1-866-441-4928. A nominal fee of $5.00 per order is applied to telephone and online orders. Requests will be filled with the best available seats at the time the order is received, and tickets will be held at the Fredonia Ticket Office until 5 p.m. on the day of the performance. Unclaimed tickets will then be available for pickup at King Concert Hall beginning at 6:30 p.m. that evening.
The Fredonia Ticket Office is open during the spring semester, when classes are in session, on Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and on Saturday, from 1 to 5 p.m.
The Commencement Committee is proud to announce that fresh cut flowers will be available for purchase at the main entrance to the natatorium on the day of Commencement. A large variety of sizes, colors and products will be available. To pre-order flowers via email, see the website at www.CommencementFlowers.com/index.php/SUNYFredonia.
This link does not represent an endorsement by Fredonia. It is provided as a service to our Commencement families and guests.
[ Back to Top ]
The Commencement Committee has arranged for a photo to be taken of your graduate during the Commencement ceremony. Island Photography will provide information to graduates when photos are available.
This does not represent an endorsement by Fredonia and there is no obligation to purchase. It is a service provided to our Commencement families and guests.
2017 Live Streaming of Commencement
There will be live streaming of both Commencement ceremonies. More information will be posted on this page on Commencement day. For those in the Dunkirk-Fredonia area, the ceremony will also be available on the local cable access channel.
Following the ceremonies, a recording will be made available on the Commencement website.
Family Commencement Checklist
___ Made reservations for hotel accommodations.
___ Reminded student graduate to pick up tickets for family, and purchase cap/gown and announcements.
___ Purchased tickets for Commencement Eve Pops Concert, if desired.
___ Determined ahead of time when your student will give you Commencement tickets, as it will be difficult to connect with students in the hour or two prior to each ceremony.
[ Back to Top ]
Information Regarding Special Needs (Handicapped) Seating
Fredonia is pleased to provide special services for individuals with Special Needs/disabilities. However, this balcony-level seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please plan to arrive early in order to secure Special Needs Seating.
Due to limited capacity, only one member of your party will be permitted to accompany the individual with Special Needs in the reserved seating section. Please also note that each entrant into the arena must have his/her own individual ticket (from the original four tickets given to each graduate). For example, if the disabled person requires an attendant, both must have a color-coded ticket for entry. There are no special tickets for special needs guests - tickets must come from the student's initial allotment.
- There will be special volunteers on the balcony to assist you in finding Special Needs Seating when you enter the arena.
- A valid handicapped parking tag/license/sticker will be honored for parking close to the arena. Due to the Rockefeller Arts Center renovation/addition construction, handicapped parking will be limited. We encourage people to park in the double-tiered parking lot on Ring Road near the clock tower, or the lot adjacent to University Stadium, and use the shuttle buses provided to travel to the arena. There is a wide paved path from the University Stadium lot to the fieldhouse.
[ Back to Top ]