- Faculty & Staff
- Tell me about yourself (your background, interests, etc.).
- Why do you feel you are qualified for this position?
- How would you describe yourself?
- What qualifications do you have that will make you successful in the field?
- What college subjects did you like best/least? Why?
- Do you think your grades are a good indication of your academic achievements?
- How much effort did you put into your course-work?
- Do you have plans for continued study? An advanced degree? Why?
- How has your college experience prepared you for a career?
- What have you learned from participation in extracurricular activities?
- What are your skills (i.e., leadership, organizational, interpersonal, language, technical, etc.)?
- Have you had previous experience in supervising a staff or other individuals?
- What is your supervisory and or management style?
- Describe the relationship that should exist between a supervisor and an employee.
- Why did you choose the career for which you are preparing? How did you choose it?
- In your present or last position, what aspects did you like the most/least?
- How would a previous employer, professor, or friend describe you?
- Why did you decide to seek a position with this organization?
- What do you know about our organization?
- What do you think it takes to be successful in an organization like ours?
- What contributions can you make to our organization?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths/weaknesses?
- What accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction? Why?
- How do you work under pressure?
- How do you handle criticism?
- Tell me about a situation where you had to convince someone to see your point of view.
- Talk about a situation where you had to deal with someone who was being difficult.
- Tell me about a time where you had a major disagreement with an employer and how you handled this.
- Describe a time when you had to deal with the public. Who was involved? What did you do? How did those involved respond?
- Tell me about your most challenging leadership role. What was your role in the group and what was the result?
- Give me an example of an important goal which you have set and tell me how you reached it. What steps did you take?
- Describe a situation that required you to do a number of things at the same time. How did you handle it? What was the result?
- Describe a situation where others you were working with disagreed with your ideas. What did you do?
- If you and another co-worker are working together and you end up doing a majority of the tasks and getting half of the credit, how would you handle it? What would you do?
- What are your long-range and short-range goals, personal and professional?
- What do you see yourself doing five/ten years from now?
- If you were hiring someone for this position, what qualities would you look for?
- What do you feel this position should pay?
- What additional information can you tell me, that we haven’t covered so far, that would make you the ideal candidate for this position?
- Why should we hire you?
- What questions do you have about this company, the position, or anything related?
[ Back to Top ]
Career Development Office
Gregory Hall, 2nd floor
State University of New York at Fredonia
Fredonia, NY 14063
(716) 673-3593 fax